My (NOT Weight Loss) Challenge
I have been on a bit of an eating binge lately and I have not been exercising regularly. I have decided that I need discipline. Essentially, I am Cartman. Except even Cartman gets a workout.
When I trained for my bodybuilding competition in 2000, I was incredibly disciplined. I think I cheated on my diet 8 times total in my 16 weeks of hard-core training. And by “cheating” I mean that I only had ONE bite of something not on my diet. One extra teaspoon of reduced fat peanut butter or one teaspoon of icecream or 3/4 of an apple instead of 1/2.
People that didn’t understand bodybuilding (or me for that matter) judged me and they had no problem with putting their ignorant two cents in every single day. I was told that I was anorexic. I was criticized for eating only half of the apple. After all, apples are so good for you so why would eating a whole apple be cheating on a diet? I did my best to ignore them and persisted.
Now that I am not bodybuilding anymore, I don’t need to eat and work out as if I am training for a competition but for the next 4 weeks, that is exactly what I am going to do. Okay, not EXACTLY. My workouts won’t be AS intense but they won’t be taken lightly either. When you see the diet and the plan, you will most definitely say, “Why the hell would she want to do this, especially if she doesn’t HAVE to?”
I am doing it because I want to feel better. I want to feel stronger. I don’t want to be short of breath doing the simplest things. I want to BE PROUD OF MYSELF again. MOST IMPORTANTLY, I WANT TO PROVE THAT LUPUS DOESN’T MAKE THE RULES; I DO! And…if I lose some inches as a result? BONUS!
This is a 4 week challenge in DISCIPLINE, not weight-loss. And because I hold myself accountable more when I share my goals with the world, I will be documenting my progress for all of you to see.
Today’s weight: 136 lbs. I don’t have a tape measure yet but after today, I will be documenting my measurements as well because that is more telling than weight.
The Exercise Plan
After my first cup of coffee and before breakfast, at least 20 minutes on the elliptical 6 days/week and an abdominal workout 3 days/week.
After lunch or dinner (depending on the day’s schedule) Monday-Friday, a weight work-out then 20 minutes of cardio. No weight training on the weekends unless I skip a workout during the week.
The Diet (This was the diet I followed religiously while training)
Meal #1: 1 whole egg plus 2 whites with 1/4 cup of fat-free shredded chedder and salsa or Frank’s Hot Sauce
Meal #2: 1/2 protein bar, 1/2 apple (or 1/2 cup strawberries), 1 teaspoon reduced fat peanut butter
Meal #3: 15 large shrimp with cocktail sauce (or) 1 can plain Albacore Tuna with lemon juice, 7 baby carrots (or) 2 cups salad with fat-free dressing.
Meal #4: Repeat meal number 2
Meal #5: (Pre-workout meal) 2 ounces of chicken (two chicken tenders), 1 small yam, 7 baby carrots (no yam on non-weight training days)
Meal #6: (Post-workout meal) 3 ounces of ground beef, 1 cup cooked brown rice or whole wheat pasta, 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables (or) 1 cup broccoli (no rice/pasta on non-weight training days).
Unlimited water, unsweetened tea, coffee.
Condiments: Salsa, Frank’s hot sauce, ketsup, Splenda, cinnamon, non-dairy creamer for coffee, lemon juice, cocktail sauce, Pam cooking spray, and 1 teaspoon of olive oil for pasta.
SATURDAYS ARE CHEAT DAYS!!!!! ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING GOES!!! EAT WHATEVER I WANT AND AS MUCH AS I WANT!!!!!! This will not only keep me motivated but the carb-loading will jump-start my metabolism.
So there you have it. I will post my weight, measurements, how I feel physically and emotionally, as well as if and when (and how) I cheat on my plan. If I don’t lose weight or inches and I still stick to this plan, I have achieved my goal because again, this is a challenge in discipline, not weight-loss. But God, I hope I lose some weight too!!
- It doesn’t have to be all-or-nothing (babiesandbriefcases.com)
- Burn Body Fat Through Weight Training (projectswole.com)
- Eat and drink this when you exercise (snspost.com)
- Running for Weight Loss (projectswole.com)
- Weight Loss Update & Summertime Tips #grabaspoon (crazyadventuresinparenting.com)
- Exercise Tips For Weight Loss (e-prescribe.biz)
- Why are you not losing weight in your weight-loss program? (goldenrule.com)
- The Intermediate Exercise Enthusiast (fitnessgroan.me)
- WOW! Weight Loss Going Out For Canadian Business! (prweb.com)
- 7 New Weight Loss Myths Revealed (prweb.com)
- Fat Melting Workouts & Diet 1.0 (Android) (downloads.zdnet.com)
- Top Ways to Ruin Your Weight Loss Diet (prweb.com)
- BodybuIlding Tips for Faster Results (fitnesstipsforlife.com)
- Muscular Development Store Releases the Optimum Performance Workout for High Intensity Training (prweb.com)
- In love and in shape, a bodybuilding ex-Chabadnik (timesofisrael.com)
- How Jodie Marsh has transformed the life of Essex mum turned bodybuilder Ellie Hopley (thesun.co.uk)
- Fitness Focus (maidenhk.wordpress.com)
- Quick Weight Loss Diet Plans – Dieting to Lose Weight Fast (ezdiets4u.wordpress.com)
- Things I do every single day to keep the weight away (threev.com.au)
- A resume of the last 5 months (juliaproteina.wordpress.com)
- 7 New Weight Loss Myths Revealed – San Francisco Chronicle (press release) (sfgate.com)
- Eating Less Calories May Not result in Weight Loss-Part 1 (valerieberkowitz.wordpress.com)
- Obesity and the brain (economist.com)
- Diet Doc Weight Loss Announces the Only hCG Weight Loss Diet PlanThat Promotes Total Body Detoxification (prweb.com)
- Treat Yourself: Eating Dessert at Breakfast Can Aid Weight Loss (healthland.time.com)
- Video: 75-Year-Old Bodybuilding Grandma Proves Age Is Nothing But A Number (blisstree.com)
- Always A Runner-Up, Never A Winner (thenlistblog.com)
- Up Against Weight-Loss Difficulties. What to Do? (mariaslastdiet.com)
- Bodybuilding competitions to pump up Civic Center (savannahnow.com)
- Do You Know This Exercises Bodybuilding Guide (workoutinspiration.typepad.com)
- Eric Cartman (support233.typepad.com)
- Day 29: CAN WEIGHT-LOSS EXERCISES BE AN UPHILL ACTIVITY (muponisi.wordpress.com)
- Top 10 Weight Loss Smoothie Recipes (pushdumpfatbutton.wordpress.com)
- Goals Fitness Challenge. Week 6 Results & Winners! #NSnation (mominmanagement.com)
- Best Cardio Workouts for Men to Lose Weight (fitnesstipsforlife.com)
- The importance of striking a weight loss vs life balance. (weightlosshacked.com)
- Victoria Beckham Combs Her Marc Jacobs Muscle Man Doll (shoppingblog.com)