My name is Nicki. I am a 40-something year old tatted-up and sailor-mouthed Italian wife, mom, Christian, EMT, grad student, neurotic, foodie, animal-lover, amateur blogger, artist wannabe, and mental health counselor gonnabe. I live in the state of New York with my husband Chris, my children Caitlin and Chandler, my niece Carly, my 3 obnoxious dogs Clifford, Chloe and Isabella, my tree frogs Shrek and Fiona, and any other pets I can sneak past my husband. My house is loud and my mind is even louder.
The Birth of My First Blog-Child
I became a matriculated college student at the tender age of 33…or was it 34? Needless to say, I struggled a bit with the fact that I was practically deceased compared to the babies who were my classmates. I started to think that surely I wasn’t the only non-traditional student who was feeling a bit left out and consumed by neuroses so in July of 2008, I started up my first blog “Diaries of a Neurotic Non-Trad.” I soon developed a love/hate relationship with blogging. I LOVE the connections I have made in the blogosphere. I LOVE the support and feedback I receive on my blog and I LOVE reading other people’s blogs but I HATE:
- That I am an idiot when it comes to all things bloggy
- That that damn number next to the “follow” button seems so low
- That I give a gigantic rat’s ass about that stupid number
- That I am constantly waffling between my refusal to censor myself and worrying that my trashy sailor mouth, my warped sense of humor, and my blunt honesty will make it impossible for me to ever make it in CareerLand.
- That my my blog has so much more potential but it takes so much work and learning (see item #1 on this list).
The Birth of My Second Blog-Child
This past April, I turned 40. It was bitter-sweet but more bitter than sweet. I started to think about all the things I want to accomplish before I turn into worm food. In an effort to snap out of my misery, I turned on the television and started watching Kathy Griffin: My Life on the D-List. I have always loved Kathy Griffin and I have watched this show many times but this time was different; I became inspired. I thought to myself: If she is on the D-List, my life is at least on the N-List (which is exciting because my name starts with the letter N). And if she can get rich off of her D-List than I can get at least 6 more followers for my blog and make enough money to buy an extra coffee every day off of my N-List.
And here we are.
A Desperate Attempt to Save My Ass
Kathy, if I become stupid famous someday and you read this blog, PLEASE note that I totally credited you for the title of this blog (and my eventual enormous enterprise) and instead of suing me, maybe you can give me a shout-out on your show. In return, I will give you a Nicki Bobblehead as a thank-you gift!
If by now you are wondering why you should ever return to this blog, stop wracking your brain and allow me to answer!
- I PROMISE that I will always appreciate you…NEVER take you for granted….in good times and in bad…in sickness and…crap…wait….um…
- When I am stupid famous, you can say that you “knew me when.”
- I WILL have a Nobblehead (Nicki Bobblehead) created some day and you are definitely gonna want in on that!