About a year ago (or was it two?), I started to notice a marked decline in my memory. Prior to this, I would forget things and didn’t give it much thought. I would write it off as being busy, having a lot on my mind, ADD, yadda yadda. You know how it is. You go to the grocery store to buy milk and buy everything but the milk. You enter a room to retrieve something and once you get there, you can’t remember what you went to get. You look for your eyeglasses for a half-hour before you realize they are on your face (or is that just me?) Or my personal favorite, WHILE DRINKING FROM YOUR CUP OF COFFEE, you tell yourself, “Crap! I went to the kitchen to make my coffee and I forgot to make it (sip)!” After a while, these things really started to irritate me. I was so frustrated with myself and told myself that I really need to focus more.
But a year ago (or was it two?), things got noticeably worse and I started to feel less frustrated with myself and more scared. I first noticed it during a fire department drill when my Chief told me that I had told someone to do something and they disregarded my command. I answered to him that I didn’t remember telling that person to do that. He said that I did and I repeated that I didn’t remember. Not wanting to fight, he dropped the issue. I honestly had ZERO recollection of ever giving that other person the command. I was upset that my chief was so determined that I said something that I couldn’t remember. My chief has a great memory. If he said he heard me say it, I must have said it BUT I COULDN’T REMEMBER IT AT ALL. This scared me. I mulled it over for about 3 days before it all came back to me. I DID give the command and my command was disregarded. Since that incident, there were a number of similar incidents. He would give me a direction or a suggestion and I would agree with it and then completely forget about that conversation. Understandably, it would upset him. He thought I was arguing with him that the conversation never occurred. On the contrary, I 100% believed him that the conversation occurred and I 100% had NO recollection of the conversation. I was getting very frightened. When my husband asked me one day, “When was Freud born?” and I couldn’t answer it, I freaked out. I had been studying Freud for 7 years. How the heck could I have forgotten that? I couldn’t even give an estimated guess and when I finally did, I was off by about 70 years. What the hell was happening to me??
Knowing that Lupus can affect the brain, I expressed my concern about my memory lapses to my Rheumatologist. I told him that I was constantly forgetting things. I forgot important conversations, dates, things on my to-do list, and I was having a terrible time recalling simple words. I explained how I sat in the kitchen for about 3 minutes trying to remember the word “pork.” I kept saying, “It’s not chicken, not beef. It’s white meat. What the hell is it?” Finally, my son said, “Pork, Mom!” I felt so embarrassed. In fact, I wrote another post about my memory problems here (and yes, I just remembered that I have written about this before). My doc sent me for an MRI and it came back clean. Of course, I was thrilled that the MRI came back okay but it didn’t relieve my fears. After all, I AM forgetting so much regardless of what the MRI shows. Now it just means that there isn’t an easy explanation for it. It also doesn’t help me to know that the plaques and tangles that are indicative of Alzheimer’s can’t be seen in MRI’s AND that those plaques and tangles actually can begin to develop in the late 20′s to early 30′s. So while we are all going about our daily lives thinking our memory loss is due to being busy, it could very well be early stages of Alzheimer’s!! Yes, sometimes ignorance is total bliss!!
Well, my memory has not gotten any better. I actually thought for a couple days last week that it was getting better but it has gotten worse. For example:
- If it isn’t written down, I won’t remember it.
- I thought I had OCD because every single day when I leave my house, I either run back inside or turn my truck around and drive back home to check to see if I unplugged the curling iron. I only need to check once but I have NEVER left the house confident that I unplugged the curling iron. As hard as I try, I just can’t remember unplugging the damn thing. I talked with my professor about this and she thinks that it is a problem with attention and mindfulness, not OCD. That made me feel a lot better and since she told me that, I now verbalize out loud, “I am unplugging the curling iron now.” When I leave the house, I still don’t remember unplugging the curling iron but I do remember saying that I unplugged the curling iron so I don’t need to turn around and check again.
- My husband puts my daily pills in a little cup for me to take every morning. I often go to take my meds and find the cup empty then have to call my husband to ask if he put the pills in the cup because I don’t remember taking them.
- Yesterday, for a period of 5 minutes, I could not, for the life of me remember if my son’s birthday was on the 8th or the 28th of January. Then I started to wonder if January was the correct month. After 5 minutes, the 28th started to sound more familiar to me so I started to believe that was the correct date. (Yes, he was born on January 28th and thankfully, I didn’t need to get on Facebook to verify if that was the correct date like I thought I would have to do. Although typing that now, I am doubting myself again).
- Yesterday morning, I went Christmas shopping. I was going to get my MIL a gift card for Joann Fabrics. I went to TJ Maxx and found something in the jewelry case that I liked for her and spent a full 15 minutes holding the item in my hand, pondering if that was a better gift. I decided it was and was thrilled with my purchase. As I was pulling out of the parking lot, I said to myself, “Shit! I forgot to get my MIL her gift! Wait? Didn’t I just get her something? Yes. I got her the jewelry. Didn’t I?”
I really don’t know what is going on with me but something is definitely wrong with my memory. My doc said he doesn’t think natural supplements work to improve it and although I tried Luminosity.com, I never remember to go to the site. I am trying to be more mindful. I am trying to rely LESS on lists because I know that by leaning on that crutch, I am not exercising my brain enough. Why would it have to remember if I write everything down for it? But I am so scared to forget something!
How about you? Have you had any memory problems or do you have any ideas for improving memory? If so, leave a comment now before you forget! =)
- Never Forget to Turn Off Your Curling or Flat Iron Again (bellasugar.com)
- Alzheimer’s, Mom and Money: When a Retiree Can’t Remember (dailyfinance.com)
- Alzheimer’s breakthrough? Drug intended for diabetes appears to restore memory in Alzheimer’s brain cells (sciencedaily.com)
- This is your brain on exercise (vitals.nbcnews.com)
- 5 Signs of Alzheimer’s that You Might Not be Aware Of (assistedlivingtoday.com)
- 10 Common Memory Loss Causes (assistedlivingtoday.com)
- Best Alzheimer’s, Memory Care Blog Awards | Assisted Living Today (assistedlivingtoday.com)
- 6 Memory Problems That Shouldn’t Worry You (huffingtonpost.com)
Staring at my books
My armpits are so stinky
Work or take a bath?
I have received another blog award!!! Thanks, Six-Fingered Monkey for picking me as one of 5 recipients, especially when there are so many award-worthy blogs out there!!!
I agree with Six that these blog awards are a bit like chain letters and when I get one, it is bitter-sweet. I LOVE that someone loves me enough to send me an award (or maybe they just sent so many awards to others in the past that they chose me to spare the bloggers they love more the hassle of following these blog rules). Either way, I appreciate the award because it will look so damn cool on my “Awards Page.” But when it comes to paying it forward, I do worry that the others are quietly telling me to suck it.
I am humbly accepting Six’s award with a tweek in the rules. This may ban me from all future awards!
The rules are:
In order to accept you must:
1. Post the rules on your blog (done).
2. Name 5 of your most fabulous moments (either in real life or in the blogosphere).
- When my kids were born. I know…cliche. Deal with it.
- When I competed in my bodybuilding competition
- When I earned my Bachelors in Psychology from an incredibly esteemed university (1 year ago)
- All the times I have responded to ambulance calls as an EMT and truly felt like I was helpful. This happens a lot less than you may think because most things are out of my hands.
- Watching my daughter drape her silver sash and red and gold cords around her graduation gown. That may have been THE proudest moment of my entire life.
3. Name 5 things you love.
- My husband and my kids (yes, coffee comes before them).
- Being an EMT and the EMS Captain at the firehouse
- Being an artist (wishing I could do it more often)
- The thought of becoming a Mental Health Counselor in 2 years
4. Name 5 things you hate.
- Haters. People who hate GROUPS of people just for the sake of hating a group of people. I hate that group of people. I know….you don’t have to tell me about the irony here.
- The fear that I will not become a Mental Health Counselor in 2 years as planned.
- That sleep is necessary. I do love to sleep but I hate that I NEED to sleep.
- When people mistreat the elderly and this includes treating them like children!!!!!!!
5. Pass the ribbon on to 5 bloggers and leave a comment notifying them of their win.
- All Work And No Play Makes Mommy Go Something Something.
- Colour the day
- Absolutely Narcissism
- We Work For Cheese
- If I Were God
So go check out these awesome blogs!!!!
If you received this award from me, here are your rules:
1) Copy and paste and conform to the rules above (or)
2) Toss the rules to the side of the road and do whatever the hell you want with it!!
Now…onto some more serious business. Rectums and Uteri. I am not sure if “uteri” is the proper plural for “uterus” but it isn’t underlined (so I am assuming it is spelled correctly) and it sounds way cooler than “uteruses” which, by the way, IS underlined.
I was visiting Sandra over at Absolutely Narcissism (linked at #3 above) and she is taking part in a competition or event of sorts that is sure to make rectums and uteri fall out.
So, now I have a visual of asses and uteri on the side of the road. And I thought the occasional ‘possum or skunk was bad!
- blog awards (stuffstephdoes.com)
- Yay! Liebster Award! (leajurock.wordpress.com)
- Dr. Horribles Blog Award (ramuay.wordpress.com)
- Blog Awards (the-view-outside.com)
- It’s So Nice to Receive Blog Awards (darsba.wordpress.com)
- 4 Blog Awards & A 12 Year Celebration! (lifeinthedashlane.wordpress.com)
- I got nominated for the One Lovely Blog Award! (ilovesunsetsbythesea.wordpress.com)
- Inspiring Blog Award (adrianpym.wordpress.com)
- ONE LOVELY BLOG AWARD!! 10 Nominations! (musewithcoffee.wordpress.com)
- And the nominees are (“One Lovely Blog Award”) (greatpoetrymhf.wordpress.com)
- I Am Honored with Loveliness (youwerebornthatway.com)
- Something Lovely, Something Inspiring. (mumchic.com)
I should say that it doesn’t take much for the water works to turn on with me. I am an incredibly emotional person. Consider yourself warned!
5) Yesterday was a horrible Lupus day. Everything in my entire body hurt and my strength was non-existent. Until about midnight when the Captain and Cokes set in.
4) My husband farted when I got into bed at 3:30 this morning. Luckily for me, we had a call and I had a reason to leave the stench. Now my bowel is more irritable than normal and payback is a bitch!
3) My mother-in-law who has a nose like a dog will be in my truck today and I somehow have to make it smell like someone has not had a cigarette in there because she doesn’t know I smoke.
1) My baby girl went from this
ALL IN THE BLINK OF AN EYE!
AND TODAY, SHE IS GRADUATING FROM HIGH SCHOOL!
I am going to be a blubbering mess!!
And now, because I have this commercial in my head, you can too. You are welcome. For the record, the writers of this commercial are heartless assbags!!!
I already cried watching this!
I am not sure when it all started but about 10 years ago, I became obsessed with the idea that my husband and I needed to buy our burial plots. Immediately. I started looking for the perfect Retirement Home for us. I went alone because at the age of 30, he thought I was
nuts being a bit premature.
I started thinking about the comfort of the people left behind after I die and thought that people would be much more comfortable in a Mausoleum than outside, especially in the winter (because OF COURSE oodles of people will want to visit me after I die). I started pricing the Filing Cabinet Drawers as I like to call them.
The drawers go all the way up to the ceiling. The ones at the top are the least expensive. The ones at the floor are the second least expensive and the ones at eye level are most expensive. I had to laugh at the idea that the eye level drawers were considered “Prime Real Estate” but I was not laughing at all at the prices. If I wanted to buy one at that time, it would have to be the one at the ceiling. My family would have to bring scaffolding if they wanted to sit with me.
I decided to consider the outdoor plots. My entire family (just about) had been buried at Holy Sepulchre. It really is a beautiful cemetery but I decided to look at White Haven as well. White Haven is a bit different. They do not allow any raised markers (tomb stones) nor do they allow any planting of flowers or other “lawn trash.” The whole place looks like a park instead of a cemetery. They even call it a “Memorial Park” rather than a cemetery.
I got such a calm feeling being there and I thought “THIS is it!”
Then in 2006, my mother died. She was just shy of 64. She was buried in the ground at Holy Sepulchre.
I decided that I wanted to spend the following Mother’s Day with my mom. I packed some flowers and gardening tools, a lunch, a blanket, a book, a journal, and a blanket. The weather was beautiful.
I arrived at about 10am. I planted some flowers, sat on the blanket and read my book, wrote a letter to Mom in my journal and just took everything in. It was so peaceful and I felt closer to my mom than I had in a long time. Then I lied on the blanket and took a nap.
I woke up to some guy yelling, “THAT ONE JUST MOVED!!!” I sat up and he was staring at me. He yelled, “Oh my God! You scared the shit out of me! I thought you was dead!!!!” I laughed hysterically and yelled back, “What did you think? They just forgot to bury me or that I am a zombie?!”
Mom and I certainly enjoyed the laugh at the poor guy’s expense!
It was then and there that I decided that a ground plot where people are allowed to plant flowers was the place for me. Because my mom was in the ground in a place where gardening is allowed, I got to spend 8 hours just hanging out with her in the gorgeous weather, playing pranks on the other visitors! I don’t want to rob my kids of the opportunity to scare the ever-loving shit out of someone like that when I die!!
This post is for The 30 Days of Writing Challenge hosted by We Work For Cheese. Today’s prompt is “Hanging out in the cemetery.”
This is Izzy.
Izzy is a Standard Poodle.
Her given name is Isabella and we planned on calling her Bella.
After 5 minutes with her we realized she must be called Izzy
Izzy is crazy!
Izzy has way more energy than she has grace, balance, or form.
She crashes into things. A lot.
She slides down stairs and she falls up them.
She runs into trees, walls and steps.
And occasionally, she gets a boo boo.
After all, she IS Busy Izzy.
Last Friday, she was running in the back yard and somehow, sliced her toe pad open.
I bandaged her foot like a pro.
I decided to see if it would heal on its own before rushing her to the vet.
She got stitches. The vet wanted me to put The Cone of Shame on her but I didn’t have the heart.
After a few days I decided to follow the doctor’s advice and let the foot get some air.
The bandage came off and her mouth was on the wound as if it were a fresh steak.
On went The cone of Shame
Five minutes later, she got the cone off.
I re-bandaged her foot and left the cone off.
When it was time to change the bandage, I noticed that the bandage had irritated the side of her foot.
It definitely needed some air but she started biting at it.
Cone of Shame back on only THIS time, Mommy’s not fucking around, Izzy! You WILL keep this on!
And she did.
For 24 hours.
During that 24 hours, she crashed into the walls about 400 times.
She knocked over the kitchen chairs and the garbage can.
She absolutely refused to go potty.
She tried cuddling me the entire time which meant that the Cone of Shame was up my ass most of the time.
She figured out how to lick her foot with The Cone of Shame on.
She fell off my bed in her sleep then crashed into the dresser trying to get up.
She ran into the banister so hard that the cone popped off.
I looked at her foot again. It was open. The stitches were gone.
I put the cone back on and took her to the vet today (yes, my new vet is open on Sundays ).
As soon as we got to the waiting area, I took the cone off.
She shit on the floor.
The vet put glue and another bandage on her foot.
We came home sans Cone of Shame.
I put her in her kennel to keep her calm as the doctor recommended.
I can’t take it anymore. There isn’t enough Xanax and tequila in the world right now.
I am seriously considering finding someone to babysit her until that foot is either healed or falls off.
This post is for The 30 Days of Writing Challenge hosted by We Work For Cheese. Today’s prompt is “The Babysitter.” I learned about this challenge while reading one of my favorite blogs called Absolutely Narcissism. Sandra is a total nutcase like me and I love her to death! Go check out her blog then check out We Work For Cheese!! I promise you WON’T be disappointed!!!
- teacher accused of putting ‘cone of shame’ dog collar on students (innerstandingisness.wordpress.com)
- Fla. teacher faces dismissal over ‘cone of shame’ (sfgate.com)
- Teacher Faces Dismissal Over ‘Cone Of Shame’ (miami.cbslocal.com)
- School: Teacher Used ‘Cone Of Shame’ Dog Collar To Discipline Students (tampa.cbslocal.com)
- Fla. Teacher Faces Dismissal Over ‘Cone of Shame’ (kstp.com)
- Psycho Dog Owner Goes Ape-Shit On Vet Receptionist (thenlistblog.com)
- Teacher Used “Cone of Shame” to Discipline Teens (neatorama.com)
- Teacher may lose job over ‘cone of shame’ (mercurynews.com)
I have recently linked up with We Work For Cheese’s 30 Days Of Writing Challenge and by “recently” I mean just now. The challenge began on June 1st and lucky for me, there are no rules (Nobody is the boss of me!) so, I am starting now. On June 9th. Also, I just posted about yearbook signing so I want to use this post for the challenge…since there are no rules. AND, today’s prompt is “Magic Carpet” but I like the prompt “Excess” for this post. So…since there are NO RULES, I am going to take my blog post on a MAGIC CARPET ride over to June 7th when the prompt was Excess. See how I did that? Crafty, huh?
It is that time of year. Proms, graduations, and yearbook signing.
I was recently at my friend’s house. She is 31 years older than I and she graduated from an all girls Catholic school. Her yearbook was out while I was at her house and me being the
stalker interested friend that I am, I nosed through the book and read the entries her friends left.
They were all the same.
“Good luck in the future and God bless.” Some people were creative and switched it up a bit. ”Good luck in the business world. God bless.”
I thought, “How nice.” Then I sort of chuckled at how my signatures are so different from hers.
I have excessively read the entries in my yearbooks. EVERY comment in EVERY yearbook that I can reach in my closet. And now, I will excessively post them here. For you. You’re Welcome.
What you get is what you see,
But anyways remember me
Call me up some time this summer
Cuz on vacation I’m a whole lot funner!
I frosted my hair in the 7th grade. Remember that shit? It turned my head orange. It was actually a bottle of Sun-In. I used an EXCESSive amount of Sun-In.
Well, it has been fun teasing you all year and I hope I can next year too.
It has been a real pleasure living with you these past 13 years. Hope you have as much fun the next place you go live. Ha ha!
John and me think you and Kerry are lessies (His spelling, not mine). Have a good summer.
I don’t really know you but you seem really nice. Thanks for letting me use your sneaks. LYLAS.
LYLAS. Remember that? It stood for “Love Ya Like A Sis” which is kinda funny cuz she said she didn’t really know me.
You’re a real good friend! You can make anyone laugh on a bad day and I hope you keep that up! Love ya dearly, not queerly.
I know that you get away with murder in here but, he sees you doing it the whole time and can’t do anything about it! Have a fun summer!
I am guessing the “he” was the teacher.
Remember Grant, Remember me. The hell with them, remember me!
Mr. Bott evolved from an ape! Really! Have a great summer!
Thanks for calling me a duck all year. Gym has been mediocre.
Nicki (The Bouncer),
She was referring to my boobs. I had an EXCESS of boobage in the 8th grade.
I think Mr. Moran is really starting to like you (haha!). What luck, right? I hope to see you next year.
I agree with Tammy. I think Mr. Moran does like you. Hope you have a great summer.
Mr. Moran hated me!!
What the fucks up? How would you like to have a party this summer? have a fuckin’ great and partying summer. PS. PARTY!
Roses are red, violets are blue. In 95 years, you’ll be dead.
You are so mint! But so is Bob. But so is Don. The summer will be great! Don’s mint. But so is Bob.
You’re really cool! You are a funny gal! I am glad we are friends. Sorry about your shoe at the concert.
I wish I could remember what happened with my shoe!
Have a wild and crazy summer with me! I mean it! True love always, The Mint Bob
You’re a really neat person. Thanks for picking up the lettuce. Good luck with Bob.
There was an EXCESS of “Bob comments” that year but it was all good.
I would write something about Mr. Moran but I didn’t have him. Oh well! Call me!
Have a great summer. DON’T GET LAID!
(Written in the crack of the book) Bet you haven’t had anyone write in your crack before!
What’s up? Not much here! Did you know that school is a bitch. Oh…and thanks for getting us busted (just kidding).
He was soooo NOT kidding!
Hi. How’s your life? The dance was great. You have to come over again. I hope you get off your grounding soon (in reference to the previous entry)! I am really glad we’re friends. We will probably talk to each other every day. Have a great summer!!
Ms. Maresca is going to have a break down because you, Jen and Colleen are so bad.
Hey Juvie!! What’s up? I am so glad we were in at least one class together! I am glad we became friends and hope we stay that way!
I got in an EXCESSIVE amount of trouble in the 9th grade.
Ok…this one is long but so worth it!
It’s been quite the year but went by so fast. Not bad though. We only got in one fight this year. I’m really glad we stayed friends all this time. We were made for each other. Although that’s what everyone said about me and Don. Now he could give two shits if I live or die. I am really glad you are going out with Tony and I hope it lasts. Bon Jovi is mint! But so is Don, Pete, Pat, Rob, etc. Oh but we can’t forget Dick, Tony and Jack. We better have a wild summer. You know, like awesome man. Well, it’s like I’m running out of room man. Love ya forever. Bag your face!! No one loves me. You love Tony. I lust Bon Jovi.
Hey bitch! Well, another awesome year come and gone! Spanish was wild (even though it wasn’t as great as last year-Ms. Fabrizio was too tolerant)!….Well, as usual, you went through quite the array of “boyfriends” and I stuck with ya through ‘em all!………………………….
Let the record show that I did NOT have an excessive amount of boyfriends. You will note the quotations around that word! I had a shit-ton of crushes but it appeared that there was a bit of a boyfriend drought for me for a while.
Your hair looks like shit! Just kidding. Next year get up at 6:00 so you can do your make-up at home, cuz there are no steep hills on the way to school. You made the bus ride a blast for the past two years. You better ride it next year! Stay cute!!
This was my hubby’s entry before he was my boyfriend.
Espanol was muy fun! Sorry I am such a brain. The bus was a blast-especially mocking out Steve. Have fun driving this summer even though you can’t reach the pedals. Let’s get some Rumple Minz for up in the fort this summer. See ya.
Hope you get your license soon so I can race you in Steve’s car! This year on the bus kicked ass. We had a lot of fun mocking out everybody (no names mentioned)! I am sure I will see you over the summer. Later on.
Nicki (Loud Fart),
You have been a great friend even though I am MISERABLE! PS. Why do you have such big farts?!? BEHAVE! Don’t date any more jerks!
Apparently, my farts were EXCESSIVE.
Yes, another year down the toilet. I’m glad I met you in art cuz it would have been so boring without you. I can’t believe I passed art. I personally think you are a really good artist. don’t listen to Mrs. Brunner-it’s all the drugs and peace she was into. I’ll miss you lots!
This one was long so I cut a lot out.
Bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Hey you little gimp! How is your life at home?…….Next year we are gonna be big seniors!!! I guess we will have to start acting more mature! Nahhhhhh. We are kind of known for our loud, annoying ways!………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
Not many more signatures that year because I nearly killed myself from a fall of 20 feet and suffered EXCESSIVE injuries, and wasn’t in school. Most of the ones I got were telling me to get well and I better be in school the following year.
Unfortunately, I can’t reach the shelf where my Senior Yearbook is sitting (much like I couldn’t reach the pedals in the car) so I can’t add those entries but I think you get the picture of how colorful my signatures are compared to someone who graduated from an all girls Catholic school 30 years before I did!
How about you? Do you have any memorable signatures in your yearbook? I would LOVE to read them!!!!
- 1970′s Yearbook (ourearleylife.wordpress.com)
- Class of ’87 (jeffreyricker.wordpress.com)
- Lesbian Girlfriends Get “Cutest Couple” In High School Yearbook (queerty.com)
While I was enjoying my visit at the Six-Fingered Monkey’s blog, I read his post about the oddest thing he has seen (to date) in a cigarette butt bucket and I was instantly inspired!!!! I won’t tell you what it is because I want you to see for yourself. But what I am about to propose may give it away.
I already gave it away in the title, didn’t I?
Oh well. I am too lazy to think of a new title for this post so deal with it and we will move on.
Anyway….this is what I am suggesting you do.
1) Visit The Six-Fingered Monkey’s post HERE
2) Read the post…or at least look at the picture in the post.
3) Think of a story about the picture…past, present, future… It can be any genre (yes, I know college words) you like. Comedy, suspense, biography…autobiography…play, poem, video. As long as the subject of the picture is somehow included in the story!!
4) Post your Panty Story (or video) on your blog and link this post as well as the Six-Fingered Monkey’s post.
5) Come back to my blog and put a link to your story in the comment section here.
IF YOU DON’T HAVE A BLOG, PUT YOUR STORY, POEM, OR LINK TO VIDEO IN THE COMMENT SECTION.
I will then post all of the links together in one post. I think it will be interesting (to say the least) and who knows? This may just be the thing that gets us all stupid-famous and Paparazzi-worthy!!!
This can be big if you make it big! Hell, I may even make this a monthly meme with a bona fide button and everything!!! Whatta ya say? Are you in??
Here is my contribution to get you started:
There once was a pair of thongs
That witnessed a crap-load of wrongs
But she was loyal to The Missus
Keeping secret all her kisses
Now she’s surrounded by butts after being surrounded by dongs.
Electric communication will never be a substitute for the face of someone who with their soul encourages another person to be brave and true.
I have mixed feelings about texting. I think it is great that:
- We can quickly get in touch with someone
- We can check that our children are safe
- We can have conversations without everyone around hearing
- We can send the same message to multiple people without making a crap-load of phone calls
Sometimes, text messages can provide us with some incredible comic relief.
But there is a HUGE downside to texting. To see my artwork that addresses this, click HERE. For instance, I am willing to bet that this text caused some unnecessary mental trauma…even if only briefly.
And sometimes texting causes us to reveal things about ourselves that we were not ready to reveal.
But the biggest issue I have with texting is that it lacks all the NECESSARY ingredients of GOOD communication that we can only get in face-to-face conversations!
- Tone. How many times have you or the person you were texting gotten pissed off or felt like a knife just went through your (or his/her) heart because of a text? And how many times was it just a big misunderstanding simply because the sender’s tone was not clear? We can’t convey sarcasm and sincerity in a text. Our jokes come across as insults. Our sincere apologies come across as sarcasm.
- Body Language. Our conversations rely very heavily on body language which is not visible in a text. Someone had recognized the importance of body language and invented emoticons but those don’t even come close to those very small nuances that help us learn more about what people are feeling while they talk such as arms folded, feet shuffling, eye gaze (or avoiding eye gaze), tears, fidgeting, clenching fists, etc.
- SILENCE! Silence in a face-to-face talk is incredibly powerful and incredibly important. It is just as important (if not more) than the talking. Think back to some deep conversations you have had. What occurred during the silence? Usually silence is filled with such reflection and emotion that it can lead to revelations, epiphanies, and change in attitude. My most productive conversations were those that included long periods of silence. How is silence handled in a text message? How many times were you dishonest to yourself or the person on the other end because you wanted to send a quick reply? Probably the most frequent dishonest reply we send is, “that’s okay.” I know I have sent that many times with tears streaming down my face and feeling like that was definitely NOT okay! And if the reply isn’t quick because you were deep in thought or overwhelmed with emotion, have you replied, “sorry it took so long to get back to you. I was busy.”
- Just as bad is when the receiver really was busy, was away from their phone, or didn’t hear that they had a message and the reply is delayed. The sender spends what seems like a lifetime imagining all the horrible reasons why the receiver hasn’t replied yet!
AND HERE IS THE OUTCOME! WE LOSE OUR CLOSENESS AND INTIMACY AND WE BECOME DISTANT AND ISOLATED STRANGERES.
What are your thoughts about communicating through text messages? Have you ever had any conversations go in the wrong direction because of the issues I mentioned? Of course, you are free to share your funny/embarrassing texts too! =)
This is a post that I did in October of 2011 on my old blog. I just read it again and I thought it would be vital to this site since this site is all things Nicki. So here is a bit of information that you may or may not care to learn about me.
So, I was visiting my friend Joann at Laundry Hurts My Feelings and was reading a post in which she made me read another post over at Mama Kat’s Losin’ It. Then I clicked on her “Writer’s Prompts” button which lead me to something else and somehow, I got lost and ended up all over the place then back here again. Anyway, I found a prompt inspired by Sellabit Mum that I thought would be interesting. As the title suggests, I am to write about 22 things that I have done. Only 22???
I normally don’t participate in these meme type things and it isn’t because I don’t want to. I often want to but they come attached with these rules of linking this to that and I can never figure that part out! I have decided that I will master this networking thing if it kills me! This will be a challenge but I am ready for it…after I pee and get more coffee. Brb.
Okay, I am unloaded and reloaded and ready to roll.
1) I have sharted.
I mean really, who hasn’t? The phone woke me up one morning before I had my morning poo. By the time I was knee deep in a conversation, I was really uncomfortable and I thought I would quietly squeeze one out without the person on the other end hearing. Well, I squeezed one out all right and I would have gotten away with it too if my hubbie didn’t come upstairs while I was still on the phone and yell, “Did someone take a shit up here?!” Really, men have NO couth!
2) I have eaten a corner of a Pop Tart with dust bunnies on it. In all fairness, I brushed the dust bunnies off of it before I ate it. I am not TOTALLY DISGUSTING! I was dieting for my body building competition and I was fucking hungry, okay?? My son found the corner of a Pop Tart under the table covered in dust and said, “Mommy, yucky.” I said, “Yes, that IS yucky. I better throw that away” and when he wasn’t looking, I brushed it off and ate it. And you know what? It was the BEST damn Pop Tart I ever had!
3) I have personally retrieved
THREE FOUR thongs from my dog’s ass. What can I say? Her palate is about as sophisticated as mine. At least I eat things that I can shit out without assistance! And by “without assistance” I mean “while I am standing in my bedroom on the phone.”
4) I have ran downstairs in the middle of the night armed with a curling iron and a can of Aqua Net to attack an intruder. Well, he didn’t intrude. Some asshole broke my sliding glass door when I was 12 and home alone and it scared the shit outta me. Well, no it didn’t. I didn’t shit that time, believe it or not. It happened when I was getting ready for bed and I couldn’t find a weapon so I grabbed something to…make him sticky and probe his ass with? I DO believe the Aqua Net could have killed him though.
5) I have proven that I do in fact have the balls to become a firefighter but realized that it takes more than balls to do the job. If I were only a few inches taller and a little bit stronger…
6) I have held a dying person’s hand more than once. I am just sad that I wasn’t holding my own mom’s hand when she died.
7) Speaking of when my mom died, I have actually looked in the passenger seat of my truck expecting to see Jesus Christ Himself sitting there and was shocked that He wasn’t. I had just finished praying for my mother and a song came on the radio immediately after my prayer that seemed to answer my prayer perfectly. I was sure Jesus was in the car with me.
8) I have spewed crap outta my mouth with such anger, volume, and force that I even scared myself…and suffered from laryngitis for a week following as a result.
9) I have gone on shopping sprees that would make Ivana Trump’s head spin but with much less coin to pay for it all.
10) I have threatened my husband with buying a Guinea Pig if he wouldn’t let me have the puppy I wanted. He bought me the puppy. Then another puppy. Then I bought a Guinea Pig.
11) I have stolen my husband’s checkbook while he was at work to buy a third puppy after he said we couldn’t have any more dogs. The third dog is his favorite now. Sucker!
12) I have been bullied.
13) I have been a bully (and some would say I still am. I say I am assertive and direct and they can deal with it).
14) I have painted a family portrait.
No, it isn’t perfect but for an introductory painting class, I think it is pretty damn good!
15) I have seen the most gruesome injuries as an EMT
16) I have put down my stethoscope and blood pressure cuff in the back of an ambulance to pray with a patient because they asked me to pray with them…more than once.
17) I have spent a month in the hospital and endured seven operations after I fell out of a tree and nearly died.
18) I have sat through twelve tattoo sessions and I am not done yet!
19) I have quit smoking approximately 25 times.
20) I have peed the bed more times than I care to admit…and oddly enough, this embarrasses me more than the time I sharted! It is not my fault!!! Those damn dreams of having to go sooo badly then FINALLY finding a toilet…only to realize it wasn’t JUST a dream and the toilet was really a mattress.
21) I have learned that that little white box on the top shelf of mom’s closet was NOT where she hid my Christmas gifts and those batteries in her drawer were NOT for the flashlight.
22) I have laughed so hard that I literally gasped for breath and feared I would pass out and loved every second of it!
AND…. 23 for the price of 22…Have shaved my head bald to support my sister when she was going through chemo treatments.